Friday, February 3, 2012

Me, the Monk...Or, God in Real Life

If I was a guy and Catholic, I would totally be a monk.  I realize that this is not a very normal wish for a generally Protestant teenage girl, but it's true.  Okay, maybe I do like jeans better than itchy woolen habits, and I am a pretty big fan of tasty food, and I do enjoy not being confined to a monastery for my entire life, but sometimes, when life gets stressful, I envy the monastic lifestyle.  Spending the rest of my life meditating, singing, and talking to Jesus and my fellow monks sounds pretty appealing after a long, hard week of the insanity I call my life. 

But, obviously, monkhood is not an option.  In addition to the reasons mentioned before, the fact is that God has things for me to learn where I am.  And where I am right now is often mundane, tiring, and stressful, not to mention distracting. 

But God doesn't just meet me when I'm at rest, or when my mind is completely clear, or when I'm doing something great and "spiritual."  He wants to invade every moment of my life and transform the ordinary into divinity.  God isn't someone who waits at the top of tall mountains for only those with enough time or enough energy or enough whatever to struggle to meet Him; He meets us where we are at and teaches us to meditate in the madness of the mundane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment