Tuesday, May 29, 2012

One List I Don't Need

I make a lot of lists because I have a tendency to forget.  I list homework assignments, people I need to call, ideas I have, quotes I like, places I have to go, things I need to pack, and even music I like to listen to.  The previous sentence was a list of lists.  Lists keep me organized and focused, two things I have trouble being. 

A while ago, I thought about making a list of God's characteristics because I'm especially bad at remembering those.  I thought a long, long list of things I know are true of God would help break my cycle of recreating God and stuffing him in a box.  I got a few statements into it: "God is greater than anything around me."  "God's mercies are new every morning."  "God hates injustice."

Those things are true, but eventually I realized that this list thing was kind of weird.  I mean, I don't make lists about any of my other friends.  That would just be crazy.  I don't have to say, "Lexy makes fantastic Cowboy Cookies" or "Mary is a great artist" or "Gabrielle looks like Mandy Moore" or "Autumn has a really sweet car."  I don't make lists about my friends because I know them.  They have a name for people who make lists about other people.  They're called stalkers.

So I've focused on knowing God rather than knowing things about God.  I don't need to make a God list any more than I need to make a Lexy list.  I'm not the best at remembering, but God is very good at reminding.

1 comment:

  1. Guilty as charged! I know someone else (besides me) who stalked God. She's in Mark 5:24-34. ;)

    I'm always fascinated at how each person knows and experiences God in her own ways. It's just more evidence of our uniqueness, I think.

    Have a great weekend, Sophia.

    ReplyDelete